Established in 1986, the HIMSS Foundation serves as the philanthropic arm of HIMSS. It provides support and assistance to HIMSS and the industry by:
- Offering financial assistance as scholarships to students in healthcare IT-related fields;
- Providing free access for students, governments, and others to The Dorenfest Institute’s historical hospital data and data reports on IT use;
- Providing student experiences, including policy internships in Washington, D.C., externships, and service learning projects for first-year medical students;
- Hosting industry executives in its Executive in Residence program.
- Offering non-partisan educational seminars for Members of Congress, the Administration and industry leaders through the Institute for e-Health Policy;
- Providing financial relief/assistance for special need-based programs; and
- Hosting the annual National Health IT Week in Washington, D.C.
The Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation organized and operated exclusively for charitable, scientific or educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.